1. The side-shave: Skip shaving the side of your head this year and instead, curl your hair to achieve all-over volume, and then tuck one side behind your ear for a sleek look, like stylists did at Jenny Packham’s runway show.
2. Forced waves: Really done-up hair can look contrived rather than effortlessly cool. For a more current take on curls, opt for unpolished bends (seen at the Narciso Rodriguez show), which you can create with a flat iron.
3. Noticeable contouring: This year it’s all about subtle contouring, which will give you a more natural outcome and still sculpt your cheekbones to perfection.
4. Fan-like lashes: Amping up your lashes is a surefire way to draw attention to your eyes, but it has to be done the right way or else your fringe ends up looking really fake. To make sure your lashes looking natural instead of like a fan, apply several coats of mascara, waiting a minute in between applications so the formula properly adheres to the coat before it. Or use individual falsies, or cut a lash strip in half and apply it to the outer corner of your eye only.
5. Overdrawn lips: If you have super-thin lips and want to create a larger look, then follow this tutorial by Jessie James Decker. Otherwise, if you already have an Angelina Jolie-like pout, stick to a barely there nude lip or just use balm, since a light pastel shade makes lips look plump, and the last thing you need is for your lips to not be proportionate to the rest of your features.
6. The I Dream of Jeannie ponytail: Unless you can perform a spell by wiggling your nose, bring your ponytail down a few inches between the crown of your head and the nape of your neck for a more sophisticated look.
7. Super-dark smoky eyes: It’s always more flattering when a smoky eye has dimension, rather than jet black from your lash line to your brow bone. To make sure yours is multi-dimensional, like the one here at Chanel, pick up a no-fail palette that includes all the colors you need to pull off a sexy smoky eye, like Chanel Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eye Shadow in “Smoky Eyes.”
8. Insanely long extensions: This length is perfect for pulling off an Elsa-inspired side braid, but this year it’s all about texture and short, chic cuts, so take a cue from T.Swift.
9. Sharp and boxy Pinterest brows: You know what they look like: They’re overly filled in and squared off at the beginning, and look like they were drawn on with a stencil. Makeup isn’t geometry class! Your brows should always look feathery and lightly colored in, so they leave you looking youthful and fresh-faced, rather than harsh and fake. See: any picture of Cara Delevingne, or one of the models at the Carolina Herrera show below.
10. Lavender locks: Pale purple has had a long reign, but in 2015, it’s all about jewel-tone shades that mimic a dark, almost-natural shade à la Nicole Richie’s sapphire strands.
11. Beyond bronzed skin: If your skin tone rivals that of an Oompa Loompa, reel in the spray tans or real tans. Here’s why: The former makes you look like you’ve been stuck on a tropical island for years without SPF and the latter causes cancer!
12. Ombré: Bye, ombré. Baliage (painting on highlights for a more natural, sun-kissed finish that grows out beautifully) is back, proving to be the prettiest way to color your hair in 2015.
13. Eagle talon tips: Whether nude or colored, almond-shaped nails need to stay in 2014. In 2015, file your nails into a shape that mimics that of your cuticles for a more natural look.
14. Highlighter overload: This coming year feels like the perfect time to stop shining spotlights on your face with excessive amounts of white shimmery formulas. If you want your brows or cheekbones to pop, use a pink champagne (for fair skin tones) or rose gold highlighter (for medium to dark skin tones) — or even a concealer that’s one shade lighter than your coloring. Or, better yet, skip patting on any highlighter for a gorgeous “I woke up like this” look.
15. Side-swept hair with side cornrows: If you want a badass look this year, swap out side-swept hair with cornrows and spring for a braided mohawk, a rocker side braid, or JBF sexy bedhead hair.
16. 3-D nail art: It’s no longer about building 3-D designs on your nails. This year, it’s all about shorter nail lengths and negative space, which means your natural nail shows through the design. For some negative space nail inspo, check out below nails from Sophie Theallet, along with these other cool designs.
17. Crazy graphic liner: Let’s be honest, you’re not wearing this out with your guy on Friday night. But don’t worry, the liner looks for 2015 are much more wearable and therefore sexier.
18. Forehead braids: Headband braids haven’t died, but they are taking a backseat to sexier, more sophisticated plaits like the rope braid seen at Donna Karan.
19. Black lipstick: Since black lipstick is actually pretty difficult to pull off, stash your black bullet (if you ever purchased one when it was trending last year) for berry-colored lip color, like Kendall’s, which complements all skin tones.
20. OD’ing on eye shadow: One way to look super gorgeous in the New Year, while incorporating color into the mix, is to use small pops of color, rather than overdoing the eye shadow. Take this model at Dior’s spring show for example. Makeup artist Peter Philips had Dior create satin fabric stickers that he placed along the models’ upper lash lines for a touch of color.
21. Oversize buns. Gone are the days of inflated buns (hopefully!). This year, dainty, sophisticated, and low buns are all the rage.